28 April 2008

Once Upon A Time

.



.
Once upon a time there was, or is, I should say, a woman in mid life who decided to take a leap of faith and search the Scriptures to learn what it really means to be a truly godly wife--a help meet. Regardless of how it might change her husband or not, or make everything in the family the way she wants it or not, or fulfill her personal idealism or not, she chose to seek and embrace God's best for her, to seek to please and delight Him, for after all, she is His bride first and foremost. And only with eyes of faith, the assurance of things hoped for and the conviction of things not (yet) seen, she believes that her story will be a wonderful story come true. Not because her list of demands of what she wants will necessarily be fulfilled, but because there is no better place to live than in the center of God's will, drinking deeply from the Fountain of life. She is looking to be changed, from the inside out, not change everyone else around her to her liking. Best to leave their story line to the Author who knows best.

To help me on my journey, I am reading and journaling through Created To Be His Help Meet and the accompanying journal by Debi Pearl (see left side bar). Believe it or not, it took me years to have the courage to order the book. In part, because I suspected I would not agree with every last thing in it and so I avoided it out of pure sloth so I wouldn't have to deal with sorting it all out, but despite my hesitation, I am sure it will challenge me immensely and I know I can learn a great deal from Mrs. Pearl. Humility...and courage...not a bad start, eh?

I hope you will join me, dear friend, on my journey. Allow me to add my Amen to this passage from the book, particularly for those of you who may be discouraged:

God has a beautiful love plan. Regardless of what kind of person you have been in the past, with instructions from God's Word, you can become a heavenly-gift bride. You can still be your man's dream come true, and in the process your dreams will come true also.

You do have a choice in how your life plays out. Some of you are fighting your present situation and making no more progress than someone fighting quicksand. You fight your husband, and every verbal punch you land leaves a bruise on you as well...Each day is a decision, each hour a challenge, and each response starts you toward either the quicksand of divorce or the solid ground of being blessed "heirs together of the grace of life."


Once upon a time...how will your story end?

No comments: