26 December 2009

New Birth, Not New Resolutions

.


The new year approacheth... A clerk in the local hardware store asked me what my new year resolutions were going to be. I replied by saying I don't do them.

Conversion under the terms of the new

covenant is more than a matter of position and status in Christ, though

never less: it includes miraculous Spirit-given transformation, something

immeasurably beyond mere human resolution. It is new birth; it makes us

new creatures; it demonstrates that the gospel is the power of God unto

salvation. All the creedal orthodoxy in the world cannot replace it. The

reason why ‘You must be born again’ is so important is that you must be

born again.”

~ D. A. Carson, Finally Alive by John Piper


I am resolved to be more like Christ
in whatever way He works within me.
I shall join Him in His work within me
but never by striving in the flesh
for it is by His power and by His Spirit.
It is continually
being born again.
.

No comments: