23 April 2009

A Heart of Fire

.




Jusitfy my soul, O God,
but also from Your fountains fill my will with fire.

Shine in my mind,
although perhaps this means "be darkness to my experience,"
but occupy my heart with Your tremendous Life.

Let my eyes sees nothing
that is not for Your service.

Let my tongue taste no bread
that does not strengthen me to praise Your great mercy.

I will hear Your voice
and I will hear all harmonies You have created, singing Your hymns.

Sheep's wool and cotton from the field shall warm me enough
that I  may live in Your service.
I will give the rest to Your poor.


Let me use all things for one sole reason:

to find my joy in giving You glory.


~Thomas Merton, "New Seeds of Contemplation"

I have been reading Thomas Merton's New Seeds of Contemplation and while I do not agree with everything Merton says, I have found many jewels like the one above. This book is one that requires Biblical discernment to blow away the chaff, but to also have gratitude for the wheat-seeds of truth that are sown in its pages.
.

No comments: