15 May 2010

Suffering As Mercy

.




But may it never be
that I should boast,
except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ,
through which the world
has been crucified to me,
and I to the world.

~ Galatians 6:14


We boast in the cross when we bear it... instead of squandering our days pursuing bubbles that burst.

Ever find yourself pursuing goals in your life, even ones you sacrificed dearly for, ones you rejected the world's ungodly values for, ones for which you endured the condescension of others, ones that you thought were the will of God in your life, and after so much... they don't come to fruition? The confusion and pain that follows can be enormous. And you're left with a big question mark with no answers, not knowing what to do or even think. And the suffering is real.


Whatever
makes us more and more able
to enjoy
making much
of God
is
a mercy.

For there is no greater joy
than joy
in the greatness of God.

And if we must suffer
to see this
and savor it
most deeply,
than suffering
is a mercy.

And Christ's call
to take up our cross
and join him
on the Calvary road
is
love.

~ John Piper, Don't Waste Your Life


One thing you can do is pray that, whatever He ordains in your situation, that you would have grace to bear your cross with humility and forbearing faith and that He would give you joy in the greatness of God in the midst of your circumstances, no matter what they are, and no matter what comes next. Pray it in faith.


I have been crucified with Christ;
and it is no longer I who live,
but Christ who lives in me;
and the life which I now live in the flesh,
I live by faith in the Son of God,
who loved me
and gave Himself for me.

~ Galatians 2:20


.

No comments: